Thursday, October 07, 2004

How do I survive in suburbia?

Just one song today, and a lot of writing.

Ednas Goldfish - Veronica Sawyer - Last week, I made a passing reference to Ednas Goldfish. But they deserve the full post treatment. This is the band that blew my teenage mind. I remember, being in middle school, and seeing 7 guys on a stage at the youth center thing in the basement of my local library... and seeing them just go insane. The horns, the guitars, there was an energy there that I had never before experienced it. I hadn't realized what I was going to, but when I walked out, I knew I had experienced my first ever rock concert. And I also knew in my soul that Ska was the future of music. I had no grasp of history, wasn't really aware of what was going on, but I was convinced I had seen the next Nirvana or something. Well, most of that didn't come true obviously. Local newspapers still tout whatever trend shows up here as "the sound thats sure to make Long Island the next Seattle," the fact is, they've been repeating that mantra ever since the Ska revival - Ednas Goldfish really were the islands best chance, and at this point, the Suburban sound has just become so trendy and vapid it's beginning to lose meaning. Case in point: after Ska, LI kind of quieted down a bit into it's norm of Billy Joel covers, with the occasional one-hit wonder breakout like Nine Days (if you don't remember that particular aural stain upon history, be glad). Then, Emo hit. Emo was EVERYWHERE. All the guys who had been in Ska bands back in the day started Emo bands (i.e. some former Goldfish formed The Reunion Show - talented, but pretty boring really). Bands like Taking Back Sunday are still doing well too. But Long Island is too trendy for that. Dancepunk has begun to take over LI. The Reunion Show has reconsituted itself as Action Action, and the sound, I think, can officially be declared dead. Long Island is way too fucking trendy for it's own good. It's only a matter of time before the whole institution collapses. And yet, sometimes, there's nothing better than digging through the old cassette tapes of my youth, and remember the glory of the Goldfish at their height. And no song from those days was better than Veronica Sawyer. It's an anthem of Suburban boredom. A tale of a region so stuck up, so isolated, that if you're not younger than 15 or older than 21, you have NOTHING. Those Sunday Afternoon all ages shows were just so important. I could be wrong about what the lyrics are going for here, but to me, thats what they've always meant. The rejection of not being old enough for those evenings, the glory of being able to enjoy youth for that one shining moment on Sunday.

[Buy The Elements of Transition from Amazon.com!]

Going to see Mountain Goats/Vanderslice tonite. Should be most wondrous.

4 Comments:

At 10/07/2004 12:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

link not working :(

 
At 10/07/2004 12:10:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Link fixed! :D

 
At 10/07/2004 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Re: Death Of Dancepunk

I think stuff like Controller Controller, The Projects, and others have proved that the sound is filtering out and will continue to be vital. We just have the first wave of truly trendy groups coming on-board now.

This old quote from ILM is great and I save it for stuff like this: "... The very young aren't very appreciative of being told their scene is dead. If it's dead to you, that doesn't mean it's dead, but it no longer matters what you think." - Ian Christe

 
At 10/07/2004 06:14:00 PM, Blogger Arnold said...

Ah... thanks for the memories...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home