Thursday, October 21, 2004

Come here baby, I need your company.

Death From Above 1979 - Romantic Rights - On Friday night, at CMJ, I hopped from seeing Camper Van Beethoven in the relatively swanky Bowery Ballroom to seeing Death From Above 1979 (The 1979 is the result of legal threats from the megaproducers cum record label) at the lovable shithole that is CBGB's. Walking into CBGB's as DFA1979 took the stage was about as frightening an aural experience as one could imagine. Like a sonic buzzsaw to the face, this duo produces a louder, fuller, and more menacing sound than any of those other duo's out there. Bass, Drums. Thats it. Thats all that DFA 1979 need though. Romantic Rights is the lead single off of their new full length, You're a Woman I'm a Machine. It's a pounding, jagged song, one that will tear your brain out of your skull and pound it into a puree even as you're ass gyrates and you find yourself mysteriously getting down to this metal madness. What's the secret to this madness? The press release says it all really, "while their sound is rooted in metal and hardcore, they are not scary or angry in any way-- in fact all of their songs are very pop and all are about wanting to have babies with their girlfriends." I couldn't put it better myself.

DFA 1979 - Sexy Results - okay, first off, this song title, grabbed from a Simpsons line if I recall correctly, is one of the best out there short of a McLusky or Minus the Bear album. On a more relevant note however, is the song itself. Where most of YAWIAM makes a name for itself on it's intensity and speed, "Sexy Results" finds the band getting a groove on. The basslines are still spinning death machines, but slowed down to a sizzling, dancable congas pace set by the masterful drumwork by Sebastien Grainger. Besides, it has cowbells. Who can argue with Cowbells?

[Buy the album, You're a Woman, I'm a Machine, or a sweet ass T-shirt direct from the band.]

A few links and shout outs today as well:

Grandaddy has a new video. [Quicktime Link] it's full of people in fursuits. And yet, it's strangely compelling. Yiff?
Dizzee Rascal also has a video. [NME link to Real Video] I'm not a huge fan of his choice to sample - and sing along - to showtunes on Dreams... but the video is great. Especially when the 2 little gangsta marionettes boost the TV. Classic. (Props to Cameron for the link.)

I have been remiss in not yet giving credit to Oh My Rockness. Their listing of shows got me through CMJ week in one piece, and it's fast becoming a daily stop for me. Here's hoping they keep it up!

See ya tomorrow kiddies!

13 Comments:

At 10/21/2004 02:48:00 PM, Blogger peter said...

It's great that your talking about dfa1979, they're my favorite band. but the band has also specifially asked no one to share this record online... so .. yeah. keep on keepin on.

 
At 10/21/2004 02:55:00 PM, Blogger peter said...

i meant "you're", oops.

 
At 10/21/2004 03:42:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Peter, that's strange, because I recieved these tracks direct from Vice Records with the statement "Feel free to share tracks as you wish." If the band contacts me and asks for me to take the songs down, be assured that I will. But in this case, as far as I know, this is an authorized posting.

 
At 10/21/2004 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Loz said...

if it helps, i think i'm going to have to buy the album now. that 'Sexy Results' shindig is the best thing i've heard for a long while.. loz

 
At 10/21/2004 05:49:00 PM, Blogger heath said...

that grandaddy viddy is delightfully flaming lips meets richard d james

 
At 10/21/2004 06:47:00 PM, Blogger CEC said...

Isn't the Dizzee sample from "Happy Talk" by Captain Sensible?

Where's my link cred, beeyotch!

 
At 10/22/2004 01:10:00 AM, Blogger andy said...

First of all, props for posting them.
Second of all, I realize I'm a loser, but listen anyways.

I've had this album for a couple weeks, bought the cd after hearing "Romantic Rights" on insound. But I haven't added it to my mp3 player because I don't know what genre I should put it under. (I hate genres, but I have general ones for playlist purposes). I think I narrowed it down to "Dance Punk" and "Indie Rock" (Indie Rock is generally stuff I gear as harder edged 'indie' music.) I even tossed them into my "Hardcore" genre. But I don't think they fit.

Examples of bands in Dance Punk:
!!!
The Faint
Moving Units
Rapture
Head Automatica
Bloc Party

Examples of bands in Indie Rock:
Sonic Youth
Radiohead
Replacements
Futureheads
Trail Of Dead
Les Savy Fav
Minutemen
Fugazi
Interpol
Pixies
Walkmen

So my definition of "Indie Rock" is broad. And isn't really "independent" it's just a mishmash of styles.

Yeah, I'm lame. I think i'm gonna temporarily put them in the Dance Punk category. Cuz I mean, they are pretty funky.

Well. ok, worthless post. Tell me what you think.

Btw, Keith. Love the blog.

 
At 10/22/2004 08:27:00 PM, Blogger peter said...

Haha nevermind then Keith. That statement must have specifically been in terms of file-sharing programs, then.

 
At 10/25/2004 01:06:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of DFA 1979.

I really like Romantic Rights!

Thanks.

 
At 10/25/2004 02:54:00 AM, Blogger seleena. said...

i've been listening to dfa 1979
for a while (before that whole lawsuit)
so i was happy to see you had posted
mp3s of their new stuff. thank you. :]

 
At 11/09/2004 05:47:00 AM, Blogger lozzo h said...

this time last week i was on my way to a dfa instore
they cancelled
i thought 1979 was there album name! its a cool name though
i thought those bands in dance punk except bloc party were electro. dance punk works though
i cant really put a name to the futureheads, kaiser chiefs its kinda subtle pop art. i like the way the brit rock scene is sounding at the moment. its so different to 2yrs back

 
At 9/26/2005 08:59:00 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Your blog is great. It's hard to find blogs with good content and people talking about Mp3 Player these days. I have a Mp3 Player Exposed if you want to come check it out.

 
At 10/01/2005 11:15:00 PM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this the sims 2 download site, it's pretty awesome too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home