Monday, September 13, 2004

It goes on and on and on...

The Thrills - Whatever Happened to Corey Haim? - The Thrills have a new album due out tomorrow, entitled Let's Bottle Bohemia. It's great. I wasn't too high on the Thrills after their first album, and apparantly their label wasn't either. They almost got dropped. Then the numbers came in, and it turns out, they're close to platinum. Bohemia's draft is gonna drag that last record over the top and then some. The first single from the new album, "Whatever Happened to Corey Haim?" is one of a few songs on the album questioning the worth of fame, taking the Thrills trademark california sunshine and adding a twinge of darkness to the sweeping, Roxy Music-esque strings (Especially Country Life). Though the Brian in charge may be more Wilson than Ferry. It's a song full of grandeur and beauty and pain questions. But in the end, it's those strings that just keep selling it. The song spirals out of control, and it's all lead singer Conor Deasy can do to keep everything around him from exploding as he croons.

The Thrills - The Irish Keep Gate Crashing - It's the vocals that do the heavy lifting on this track, the albums closer. Hopeful, bouyant falsettos delivers acerbic lines like "Lust... Top 40 Fame... I can smell your Catholic Shame...", and the pianos bounce and the song just makes you want to dance because this is a party of Irish boys who wish they were california boys who have listened to lots of british music about America. And it does indeed go on and on. One of the greatest things about Rock & Roll, and pop culture as a whole is it's endless ability to cannibalize itself eternally. The Thrills are hopelessly derivative, endlessly nostalgaic, and some of the most fun you'll have listening to music this year.

[Buy Let's Bottle Bohemia from Amazon.com!]

13 Comments:

At 9/13/2004 01:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly, Keith. I like this album, but didn't really care for the first for the most part. Other standouts include Saturday Night, My Rosebud, and The Curse of Comfort in my opinion. Also, Pitchfork lists a closing song called "A City of Long Nights" which is not on the Advance that I have, and apparently not on yours either.

M.

 
At 9/13/2004 03:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone remember the new radicals? Now is it me or does the singer from the Thrills sound a lot like that guy?

 
At 9/13/2004 03:17:00 PM, Blogger James said...

Holy shit it's Sloan...

 
At 9/13/2004 08:43:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

New Radicals?

Holy shit, I hear it.

Nontheless, M, I will now hate you forever for putting "You only Get What You Give" into my head. It is now STUUUCK THEEEEREEEE....

 
At 9/13/2004 10:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll go back a bit further: Someone owes a debt to Todd Rundgren

 
At 9/15/2004 01:08:00 PM, Blogger Tuwa said...

I'm getting a 404 on these. Any idea what's up?

 
At 9/15/2004 04:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith, don't blame me, some other anonymous individual posted that New Radicals comparison. I'll have to go back and listen to see if I hear it, but I don't really right now.

M.

 
At 9/15/2004 05:48:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Sorry 'bout that M. My bad!

And Tuwa, They work fine on my end.

If you can't get them to work, let me know and I'll toss an email your way.

 
At 9/15/2004 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Tuwa said...

Huh. They work now. Odd. Good tracks.

 
At 9/15/2004 11:48:00 PM, Blogger torr said...

"Then the numbers came in, and it turns out, they're close to platinum" what are you talking about? Their debut album has only sold 100,000 copies in the U.S.

 
At 9/16/2004 05:25:00 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I love 'Whatever Happened to Corey Haim?' and it's definitely my favourite of all their singles so far.

I liked Big Sur...but none of the other stuff from the first album really grabbed me.

Love this blog :)

 
At 9/17/2004 06:55:00 AM, Blogger mike said...

Well, THIS is a shock... a band for which I had previously nursed withering contempt suddenly produces a fantastic pop single. Thanks for alerting me...

 
At 10/02/2005 01:17:00 AM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this download free multiplayer game site, it's pretty awesome too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home