Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Isn't it Weird?

The Toadies - I'm not In Love (Talking Heads Cover) - The Toadies are one of those forgotten mid 90's bands that people don't like to talk about for some reason. I never fully understood it myself, though i will admit to having forgotten them. My own rediscovery of the Toadies came when my old college radio station aquired a Toadies live album, and "Possum Kingdon" showed up on my chart show. And then, recently, Chris Uncritical sent me this song, off of the soundtrack to Basquiat, a great film about the artist of the same name. And like any movie about a cutting edge, downtown New York artist from the early 80's should, the soundtrack is full of songs by the likes of PIL, and Bowie, and this song, by Talking Hea- oh. It's a cover. But damn is it a good one. This was recorded in 1996. 1996. If it wasn't it would probably be pretty unremarkable. But the fact is, 8 years ago, it points out the fact that the Toadies were smarter than all of us. They saw all this spazzed out dance punk coming. They were onto it before you and me. A fantastic cover.

[Buy the Basquiat soundtrack at Amazon, or The Best of The Toadies: Live from Paradise, also at Amazon.]

Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless (Live) - I would be remiss if I didn't mention in this blog the rerelease of what is possibly the greatest live album ever. The Name of This Band is Talking Heads was never released on CD, until yesterday, when it got the double disc, half hour of extra material treatment. This is good because for years, Stop Making Sense was all fans had to judge the Heads Live - and while Sense does a fine job of relaying what the Heads were visually, in their later years as they went off on their art bender, the essential audio document has always been "The Name of This Band." The first half of the album is early live cuts, but this track is from the second half of the album - from the Remain in Light tour. Which means the lineup on this track was from the Heads in all of their Big Band excess prime, multiple percussionists finally giving Byrne the complicated multiple rhythyms that he so loves, multiple backup singers, and most notably, Adrian Belew contributing a frenetic, slicing lead guitar that obliterates everything else on the track until Byrne resumes command with his little rap about 2/3rds of the way in. An ESSENTIAL album for anyone who calls themself a Heads fan.


[Buy The Name of This Band is Talking Heads from Amazon.com!]


And for those of you out there who might be hiring, I'll restate the fact that I'm unemployed and hungry...

3 Comments:

At 8/18/2004 07:45:00 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Now that I heard that T-Heads track I have to add more vinyl to an already big pile. The Talking Heads are one of those bands that I can only listen to about once a year, but when I do I really get into them.

 
At 8/19/2004 08:31:00 PM, Blogger Reagan's youth said...

The Talking Heads are good, but the Toadies are just plain awesome. I loved 'em back in the 90's and I love 'em today. A little know fact, but they were featured in Maximumrocknroll, right when Possum Kingdom came out, which was weird for a band getting the mainstream exposure they were at the time.

 
At 8/21/2004 12:41:00 PM, Blogger Jose Luis said...

The Toadies first CD was actually pretty awesome, but the second was more normal rock stuff. After they broke up, two of the members started another band, called...The Burden Brothers? Or The Durden Brothers. They're sort of popular here in Austin, but not with the discerning music crowd...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home