Tuesday, July 13, 2004

It's BLUEBERRY BOAT DAY.

In other words, get Thine Arse to a Record Store, and buy a copy of the Fiery Furnaces Masterpiece.

It is a Masterpiece.

You're still here.....

...



...

...

Okay, music for today.

Before I get to that, a few notes -

1) Be sure to check out the new sexed up AMG, which should be live at some point today.

2) the Boys & Girls over at GYBO have completed the follow up to London Booted - Parkspliced - notable are mashups of the title track w/ the Beach Boys "God Only Knows", a healthy dose of Marvin Gaye inserted into "Badhead," and Lenlows fantabulous B-Side featuring Peter & The Wolf. I may end up posting a track or two from this later in the week.


The Yeah Yeah Yeah's - Mr. You're on Fire Mr. (Liars Cover) - Karen O covering Angus. 'tain't that sweet. Well, there's nothing sweet about this song, a B-side from the Pin Single. It finds the YYY's revisiting the production style found on the Machine EP, washed in feedback and muddled into a flat sort of tonelessness that, when combined with the tape loops and electrobleeps found here, manage to turn Liars original screamfest, the song that prompted a P-fork review to remark that Liars eat ground glass, into a slowed down, dubbish sort of number, punctuated by Karens trademark yelps. I didn't like this the first time I heard it, but since then, I've just kept on coming back. There's something here, some indefinable quality, that makes what is, objectively, a lousy recording of a halfassed cover, sound like something much better.

[Buy it from Insound!]

The Hong Kong - Mazerati - Few things are so great as the experience of discovering a song capable of making you bounce around the room - the tightly wound, hyperactive ADD kid inside of you breaking free and refusing to sit still. Mazerati is such a song. From the Hong Kong's debut, Rock the Faces, the blondieesque vocals and bubbly basslines, this is what al summer music should be.

Bliss.

No buy link for this one because I can't seem to find anywhere online to buy it. I got my copy at a show. Anyone have a lead?

Tomorrow: TTIKTDA Reader submissions make their debut. (P.s. those of you I emailed? please do resend those tracks. Dropload hates me and I really do want to listen to them - I have the space in my mailbox to recieve attachments of up to 10 megs, so no worries there.


Now GO BUY COPIES OF BLUEBERRY BOAT.

10 OF THEM.

I don't care if you don't have 10 CD players, or even 10 friends. Just do it.

12 Comments:

At 7/13/2004 04:34:00 AM, Blogger HK said...

The Hong Kong cd can be purchased at www.othermusic.com.

 
At 7/13/2004 05:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, really? Despite what every music blog says, I think the album is really shitty. I hate the music, and honestly, it sounds like 9 years playing around with synthesizers and keyboards -- and then their mom comes in and starts singing and suddenly their guitar-playing dad is in on the action.

Their melody and coherence is sorely lacking and I really wanted to like the album, honestly -- but it's twitchy and nervous and not my thang, you know.

But this is all just my opinion. I am probably in the minority.

 
At 7/13/2004 07:28:00 PM, Blogger Mike D. said...

the hong kong is also at http://truthflies.com/

 
At 7/13/2004 10:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree, can't get it. no disrespect... i've heard two songs, and it just isn't working for me.

 
At 7/14/2004 01:14:00 AM, Blogger Neen said...

OMG! YOu like the Fiery Furnaces too!!! SO AWESOME :)

 
At 7/14/2004 02:02:00 AM, Blogger Jose Luis said...

Hooray Fiery Furnaces! did you see the awesome review Pitchfork gave them? Its great how so many bloggers beat pitchfork to the punch!

 
At 7/15/2004 12:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i talked to them when they played south by southwest here in austin.
they were looking for a record deal.
and as far as i'm aware, they didn't get much attention that night.
also, they were real assholes.

 
At 7/17/2004 04:29:00 PM, Blogger Belgand said...

Wow... the new AMG is terrible. It's like they tried extra hard to make it less useful. I mean, why put everything on one page where I can easily scroll through it when it could instead be on a half-dozen irritating tabs!

 
At 7/18/2004 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Agreed on The Fiery Furnaces... I bought two copies of Blueberry Boat, saw them yesterday in NYC, and made them a fansite at http://www.blueberryboat.com - check it out :D

 
At 7/22/2004 10:56:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought it. Because of you. Because I wasn't sure whether I wanted the first one or the second one. So I went with Blueberryboat because it was a masterpiece according to you. So feel cool, because your impact matters.

 
At 10/02/2005 01:20:00 AM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this free microsoft word download site, it's pretty awesome too!

 
At 1/05/2006 04:11:00 PM, Blogger William said...

Keep up the good work, I will be back to check on your new updates. Incredible job! I have a blog/website that
might interest you

wooden boat plan
http://www.classicwoody.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home