Friday, June 11, 2004

TTIKTDA Brit-Pack, vol. 3: The Conclusion

OK, it's 1a.m. and I'm as tired as a Linkin Park single, so I'll make this snappy. This is the last installment of TTIKTDA's Brit-Pack. I hope you've all enjoyed it! There are millions of bands I'd never have the time or energy to post MP3's of, so your only option at this point is to keep your eyes and ears wide open for incoming musical talent. Let's go:

The Zutons - You Will, You Won't
For some reason, I could only find this SUPER LAME RADIO RIP of this awesome Zutons song (die, LimeWire... die...), but it'll have to do. The sheer, balls-out furious RAWK of the track is still pretty evident. Apparently, this is "shroomadelica", a "new wave" that's taking Britain "by storm", that NME totally "made up", "from scratch". The song oozes cool though.

Keane - Bend and Break
The only reason I paid any attention to Keane at first was because they kept Morrissey's new album out of the #1 British chart spot for two full weeks. "This will not do!", I cried, taking to the streets in protest. Then I realized no one cared and retired to my closet to cry. Once I came to, I bought Keane's debut album, Hopes and Fears out of curiosity (and an upcoming gig at Knitting Factory), and fell in love. "Bend and Break" is by far the best track on the LP. WARNING: This ain't for the faint of heart. It's poppy, and I mean way poppy.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars - Pastimes & Lifestyles
One day, my addiction to import singles will ruin me, and I will spend the rest of my days huddled in some little corner of a misty, dark alleyway near a Tower Records, mumbling to myself about how I once dreamed I'd have the complete Belle and Sebastian singles collection. Until then, I will have Dogs Die In Hot Cars' Man Bites Man E.P., which "Pastimes & Lifestyles" is taken from. Think Frankie Goes to Hollywood meets XTC, then David Byrne crashes their party and shoots everyone.



Yeah, so Kill Uncle wasn't all that fantastic, but fortunately, Moz regained his senses and made what is widely considered to be his best work to date, the utterly exquisite Your Arsenal.

You're Going To Need Someone On Your Side: The Your Arsenal era, 1992 - 1994
I didn't want to post another lead single, but just so you know, "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Sucessful" is the best song on this album, and perhaps, just perhaps, the best song Morrissey has ever recorded, solo. But since I'm a sucker for great one-liners, here's the second-best: "Your The One For Me, Fatty".

Morrissey - You're The One For Me Fatty

I lack the stamina to go on and on for pages and pages about how awesome this album is, so please forgive me. I invite you to just listen and be struck by the sheer awesomeness. Tune in tomorrow, same Moz-time, same Moz-place...

8 Comments:

At 6/11/2004 02:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brit pack vol. 3 is my favourite
good job!

 
At 6/11/2004 10:33:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These Brit-Pack posts are great. I've heard of all these bands and have stuff by some of them, but others I've searched in vain for on Limewire. You're enthusiasm is infectious too.

And I agree the Zutons are fantastic!

Thanks.
Herself_nyc
http://herself_nyc.livejournal.com

 
At 6/11/2004 11:00:00 AM, Blogger Cameron said...

Aw, thanks!

Yes, the Zutons are awesome. I really hope someone releases their album here soon (yeah... right...)

 
At 6/11/2004 01:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to post anonymously, but I read this thing through your livejournal RSS feed. I was thinking of posting a comment there, but I didn't know if you'd see it. ^^ Thank you SO MUCH for the feed! I wish more music bloggers did the same thing! Y'all have to understand that once you go LJ, it's hard to go back. It's like buying a microwave -- suddenly baking something in the oven for half an hour seems like a long and torturous wait compared to getting hot food in 5 minutes and only slightly soggier. Livejournal's like that - reloading your friends list is so much more convenient and easy than clicking 100 links not even knowing if that page has updated that you stop wanting to read non-LJ blogs (horrible, isn't it?).

Basically, I just wanted to let you know that I love your posts. I do occasional music blogs on my blog too, though much more infrequently than you, so I am of course interested when other people do the same. I love sharing music. I don't always snag songs, and of course it's never guaranteed that I'll like something just because you do, but I really just enjoy reading your blogs. I think you're funny and your knowledge of music and such has taught me a few new things, especially about older songs/artists (I lived in iowa, the land of shitty radio stations, while growing up, and when I moved to a state with good radio stations I started trying to catch up on the 80s). Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you! Thanks.

-- Ka [lj:angrybabble]

 
At 6/11/2004 01:17:00 PM, Blogger Alan Williamson said...

The Zutons... are all over WinMx, hit limewire with a shovel and bury it! Good song, thanks.
Check my new music blog - SIXEYES

 
At 6/12/2004 05:08:00 PM, Blogger mr. shark attack said...

Anybody heard the new MOZ? I hear it's great.

 
At 6/13/2004 07:33:00 PM, Blogger Cameron said...

1. Yes, LJ-feeds are the bomb. Thank Keith for setting that up.
2. I have a Mac.
3. WHY ARE YOU IN FRONT OF A COMPUTER WHEN YOU COULD BE IN A RECORD STORE BUYING THE NEW MORRISSEY RECORD???

 
At 10/01/2005 11:48:00 PM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this sean and paul and mp3 and download site, it's pretty awesome too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home