Monday, May 17, 2004

I Lost my Dog, but Now He's Found....

So, I'm gonna step on Big Poppa Perpetua's toes as official Fiery Furnaces Mp3 Blog Flogger, and post a pair of cuts from their upcoming album, Blueberry Boat. First off, this album is good. DAMN Good. To quote a message board poster from elsewhere on the interweb: "Bottom Line: Blueberry Boat is a beautiful disease, and you require infection. MOTHERFUCKING PROG-BLUES ROCK OPERA IN UNDERWATER SPACE. YOU. REQUIRE. INFECTION."

About fucking right. This album obliterates. This is an massive leap forward for the Furnaces for their good, but not revolutionary debut. To put it another way, Gallowsbirds Bark is to Blueberry Boat, as Pablo Honey is to Kid A. As Surfer Rosa is to Doolittle. As Surfin USA is to Pet Sounds. As Bleach is to Nevermind. As This is Your Bloody Valentine is to Loveless. As The Clash is to London Calling.

That sort of leap forward in the space of a year. I have to wonder how much further the Furnaces are headed. This is what I expected when I heard the hype surrounding Elephant.

The Fiery Furnaces - I Lost My Dog - probably the most instantly accessible, and old-Fiery-Furnaces style song on the album, the song, an upbeat piece of ragtime blues, tells the story of a search for a lost dog. The narrative itself is nice enough, and the propulsive piano line is fantastic, but what really sells the song for me is the utterly heartbreaking final verse. Something about the delivery of the last line gets me every time.

The Fiery Furnaces - Inspector Blancheflower - one of 5(!) 8 minute plus tracks on Blueberry Boat, and probably my favorite track on the album, the song goes through several movements, shifting between the openings synthed out drone, telling the story of a challenged child, to a sudden shift and a kick up in the tempo, as Elanors vocals kick in and the song suddenly starts to move, and I find myself wanting to dance as she sings about police work. The song really starts to chine when the Furnaces kick the storytelling into overdrive at the 5 minute mark. The lyrical quality here is fantastic, and the music is perfectly appropriate to the sort of rock operatics. Many bands have been sunk in reaching for the heights of Floyd, or Tommy territory, turning the idea of the concept epic into a bloated joke. The Furnaces have managed to build a ship that floats though. No, I don't think it's a little late. I don't think so at all...

Also, Lead singer of Dwarves records song about Metrosexuals, scores minor Novelty Hit. - it is pretty funny, I must say.

See ya tomorrow, and you fuckers damned well better not touch the cargo.

13 Comments:

At 5/17/2004 01:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hell! TTIKTDA turned all pretty (:

 
At 5/17/2004 01:30:00 PM, Blogger Keith said...

Indeed it did! You Like?

 
At 5/17/2004 01:56:00 PM, Blogger la1itree said...

I like!

Love the new Blogger templates, they're so cuddly.

 
At 5/17/2004 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Jim H said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5/17/2004 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Jim H said...

I'm sorry -- I saw the trash can and naturally wanted to root in it. I wanted to say thanks for the Furnaces. I saw them on Saturday opening for Mission of Burma and was suprised that their live show was way better than what I heard (the single Tropical Icey-Land). The opened with the Dog is Lost song. I reviewed the show at my blog (vinyljourney.blogspot.com)...

 
At 5/17/2004 11:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AM INFECTED.

:) Thank you. Seriously. Thank you.


amy/aitapata

 
At 5/18/2004 09:03:00 AM, Blogger John said...

Wow man, if you're serious on that orbital, i'll be soooooo appreciative.

 
At 5/18/2004 12:08:00 PM, Blogger John said...

Oh and incidentally The Furnaces were a total blah to me for awhile, then I accidentally listened to "Blueberry Boat" (the single) about fifteen times on th' iPod.
Now, it's like: whoa.

 
At 5/18/2004 02:55:00 PM, Blogger todd said...

thanks for the tunes, BUT... your analogies are suspect. Pablo Honey to Kid A was just a change in sound, not quality (in fact, i think PH is vastly under-rated). Surfer Rosa to Doolitle was not a change in sound (so I'm not sure what your criteria was here) and frankly SR was the groundbreaker and therefore has more importance. I know I'm alone in thinking that Nevermind was a piece of crap compared to Bleach, but again I'll use the groundbreaking principle here. You're way off on the Clash. London Calling has some classic songs, but as a double album there's a lot of filler. The Clash had White Riot, In Hammersmith Palais, Complete Control, Clash City Rockers, Career Opportunities, etc.. The MBV reference is the only correct one. Thanks for playing though

 
At 5/18/2004 03:08:00 PM, Blogger aaron said...

hey, nice redesign. disappointed though that Ska week only consisted of two posts. I was hoping for some Mustard Plug or Skavoovie + The Epitones =)

I just posted a couple of mp3s from The Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra on New (Ish) - you should check them..I think you'll definitely enjoy them.

 
At 5/19/2004 05:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous layout, keith

 
At 10/02/2005 01:18:00 AM, Blogger tweedledeetweedledum said...

This blog is awesome! If you get a chance you may want to visit this download movie online site, it's pretty awesome too!

 
At 10/02/2005 02:17:00 AM, Blogger Steve Austin said...

I like yuor blog. Please check out my dog breed picture blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home