Thursday, March 04, 2004

I swear... they used to be good!

I finally picked up The Corals newest album, Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker. And I'm sorry to say, it's a huge disappointment. But on the plus side for you guys, it's inpsired me to post a pair of tracks off their debut that show why the Coral used to be a promising band damn it all!

The Coral - The Ballad of Simon Diamond - I love this song. There's an acid trip quality to it that leaves it unquestionably indebted to the Beatles in their later days, but there's also something thoroughly timeless to the harmonies, and the lyrics, singing the story of a man, whose sold his soul.

The Coral - Waiting for the Heartaches to Come - and this is the song that made me fall in love with the Coral. The subdued tropical beats and slow ballad opening are deceptive, because after about a minute the song just fucking explodes, and leaves me weeping for all this potential, so thoroughly and fully wasted on this terrible new album.

And, for kicks - Childrens Television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home